Have you heard about egg coffee before? It can be an interesting way of preparing your favorite beverage. In the next few minutes, you will learn how you can prepare egg coffee on your own.
What is Egg Coffee?
If you’re not familiar with egg coffee, then you might be intrigued just by hearing its name.
No, egg coffee is not made from dried eggs that have been ground into powder. It’s a kind of coffee beverage that is prepared with eggs. There are two types of egg coffee. The first one is known as cà phê trứng in Vietnamese. The second one is the traditional egg coffee from Sweden.
How is Vietnamese Egg Coffee Made
So, how can you make Vietnamese egg coffee?
Here’s a good recipe that you can follow.
Vietnamese coffee is a sweetened dark coffee that is topped with a foamy layer of egg cream. This dark coffee should be of good quality and grounded properly preferably using طاحنات القهوة .
When you drink the beverage, you will taste the contrast between the coffee and the sweetened foam at the top. The contrast is pretty balanced.
As you might have guessed, Vietnamese coffee is the most appropriate to use for making this kind of beverage, but there are options. If you cannot get Vietnamese coffee then you can use any coffee that contains Robusta beans. The bitter flavor of the Robusta beans is necessary for the contrasting flavor of the drink.
Here are the ingredients that you will need to prepare this drink:
- One tablespoon Vietnamese coffee
- Four cups of boiling water
- Three tablespoons of condensed milk
- One teaspoon sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla
You need to keep in mind that the consumption of raw eggs can be risky. If you want to stay safe, then use pasteurized eggs.
You’re going to need the following tools:
- Vietnamese coffee filter
- Electric whisk
- A bowl for hot water
- Coffee cup
- Serving cup
Here are the steps you can follow:
- Boil the water.
- Place the coffee in the filter and then insert the tamper and press the coffee.
- Put the filter over a glass and the fill it with hot water.
- Let the coffee drip down.
- Keep the coffee cup hot by placing it in the bowl of hot water.
- Mix the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and condensed milk in a container.
- Using an electric wire whisk, mix it until it becomes thick and foamy.
- Place the serving glass in a bowl filled with hot water. This is useful in cooking the egg top.
- Place around 2/3rds of your coffee into the serving glass.
- Put all of the egg mixture to the top of each serving glass.
- Now, pour the remaining coffee over the top, let it soak through the egg.
- Let it sit in the hot water so you can let the egg get cooked.
Now, you have a cup of traditional Vietnamese egg coffee that is ready for serving.
How is Swedish Egg Coffee Made
We move on to the second kind of egg coffee recipe which is from Sweden. Well, it’s not really Swedish but Swedish American. Tradition has it that the recipe originated during the passage of immigrants to America in the 19th Century. It is traditionally served in Lutheran church gatherings in the Midwest.
The adding of egg to coffee grounds helps in clarifying the coffee which means that the grounds get separated from faster. Here is what you will need to make this kind of beverage:
- 9 and ½ cups of water divided
- 3/4 cup freshly ground coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of cold water
Follow these steps to make the egg coffee:
- Boil the 9 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Mix the ground coffee, the 1/2 cup water, and the egg in a measuring cup.
- When the water boils, carefully pour in the egg-coffee mixture.
- Allow the mixture to boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the cup of cold water.
- Allow the coffee sit for 10 minutes.
- You will see the grounds settling to the bottom of the pot.
- Pour through a strainer into cups and then serve.
These are the steps that you can take in making Vietnamese and Swedish egg coffee. Those are two unique recipes that you can follow for making unique drinks.